Standout Verse: Exodus 32:2, 4, 7-8
“And Aaron said to them, “Break off the golden earrings which are in the ears of your wives, your sons and your daughters and bring them to me.”
(v. 4) “And he received the gold from their hand and he fashioned it with an engraving tool and made a molded calf. Then they said, “This is your god O Israel that brought you out of the land of Egypt.”
(v. 7-8) “And the Lord said to Moses, “Go, get down! For your people whom you brought down out of the land of Egypt have corrupted themselves. They have turned aside QUICKLY out of the way which I have commanded them. They have made themselves a molded calf and have worshipped it and sacrificed to it.”
Sometimes we find ourselves in seasons of waiting. We may become impatient or feel abandoned by God. We’re not sure which way to turn or which way to go. Our hope begins to dwindle and we can feel our hearts growing weary with heaviness. We’ve all been there at one time or another.
So…what do we do? At this point there are really only two choices.
Choice One leads to a path where we say, “Forget this. I am too uncomfortable and too discouraged. This whole “thing” (fill in the blank) is taking way too long to happen and I’m done.”
That’s when we begin to look around and see how we can “fix” our lives. How we can speed up the uncomfortable process, how we can stop the feelings that are beginning to cripple us. We may even have an inkling of the promises God has show us in past seasons and we may set about to make those things happen in our own strength. The trouble is, when we decide that God’s timing is too much trouble to wait for, we can so easily end up striving. Rather than experiencing His best for us, we by-pass Him jumping into the rollercoaster cycle that happens when we “take charge”. Before we know it, we’ve built things that were never meant to be (business deals, wrong relationships, careers, etc…) – our very own, personal Golden Calf.
Choice Two is this: We must decide to take a unshakeable stand on the truth of God, planting our feet firmly in what His word says about Him. We must choose to stay and wait despite what our feelings may be.
Here is some awesome TRUTH to stand on:
1. God is GOOD. He loves His children (US!) and has GOOD plans and purposes for our lives. Plans that will give us a FUTURE and a HOPE! (Jeremiah 29:11).
2. He will NEVER leave us or forsake us. Even in times when we feel like we can’t hear His voice, we must stand on the knowledge that He IS with us! (Hebrew 13:5)
3. His thoughts are higher than ours! There will be times our little human minds can’t grasp the things He is doing behind the scenes. But we must choose trust in His loving hand. (Isaiah 55:8-9)
4. Those who WAIT on the Lord (rest in Him and trust in Him) will renew their strength!! SO awesome! As we wait on Him, His plans, His timing, we will grow in strength – we will soar on wings like eagles; run and not grow weary; walk and not faint! (Isaiah 40:31)
5. All things (even the super tough stuff) work together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purposes.
As we stand strong on God’s truth, knowing and believing HE IS GOOD, our hope will rise, our strength will grow and we will be able wait on Him through the challenges knowing He is teaching us and growing us up through the season He has us in!